Rumor: Portland working on a trade

Rumor: Portland working on a trade

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:58 pm

Jason Quick confirms there is a trade discussion going on today and it maybe done by Wed or Thursday.

Mike Barrett is at the Blazer's Practice Facility and said that Rick Cho has been in his office all day on the phone.

There are rumors that this is a multiple team deal involving Portland and two other teams.
discovery69
ClubBlazers.com Administrator

Re: Rumor: Portland working on a trade today

Postby xedubx on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Adios, Rudy.
xedubx
Star

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Rumor of the hour is that Boston maybe involved as they want Rudy and are willing to give up one of their draft picks for him. It would involve Joel Przybilla & Rudy Fernandez for Rasheed Wallace contract (i.e. retires) and a future 1st round pick. Portland would then send the exception & pick to another team.

I was looking at Philadelphia's Lou Williams, which the exception would match with Rasheed's contract.

Anyway, just what I heard so far..... :doh:
discovery69

Postby HoopsFan on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

If it's a 3 team deal, then it gets interesting! and I'm adding PURE SPECULATION to the rumor posted in this thread:

Boston sends Wallace + Gaffney + D.P. out and can take in Prz + Rudy
Portland sends Prz + Rudy to Boston and then sends the lower priced Wallace + Gaffney + D.P. + Bayless to ... oh, I don't know ... San Antonio and receives Tony Parker.
San Antonio sends Parker and receives Wallace + Bayless + Gaffney + D.P. and saves over $4 million.
[Now, if you don't like Gaffney for them, keep him with Portland and send Pendy or Dante for the same amount to the Spurs.]

Yes, it works.
Bos outgoing $7,084,515 (x 1.25 +100K = $8,955,643) with incoming $8,651,980
Por outgoing $10,944,580 (x 1.25 +100K = $13,780,725) with incoming $13,650,000
S.A. outgoing $13,650,000 with incoming $9,377,115 saving them $4,272885
HoopsFan
ClubBlazers Community Moderator

Postby oldfishermen on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm

What about????

Boston trades; R. Wallace, Glen Davis ($9,322,324)
Portland trades, Rudy, Pryzbilla & Cunningham OR Pendergraph ($9,414,175)
oldfishermen
All-Star

Postby HoopsFan on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 pm

My numbers crunching in the previous post was just PURE SPECULATION regarding the 3rd team but to show myself (I guess) that dealing with lower salary from Boston, Portland as the middle amount team, and a 3rd team with a high priced PG actually works ... and saves the 3rd team a fair amount. [San Antonio is currently projected with a team salary near tax land but probably not in it.]

The other way to go is simply pocket the savings (a bit over 1.5 mil) from Boston to try to get under the cap?
Nahhhhh. I like the 3 teamer better.
:wink:
HoopsFan

Postby HoopsFan on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Oldfishermen, I like your thinking as I'm a bit of a fan of Glen Davis. A banger with girth and not bad touch.

I prefer the PG upgrade, but maybe that will be a separate trade of Miller + Bayless?
HoopsFan

Postby blazersinsider on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm thinking Cho has been on the horn all day because it takes a lot of phone calls to put together a multi-step trade along the lines of what he did on draft day for OKC - meaning, not a 3-team trade but instead multiple 2-team trades agreed to simultaneously and executed one immediately after the other - more like in discovery's "Rumor of the hour" post.

Oh and BTW, kudos to us for sniffing out what Quick was saying yesterday - we nailed that it was Rudy pretty well. Still not sure why Quick couldn't tell us yesterday - I thought it was his job to break news (as in, "the Blazers are trying to trade Rudy") rather than becoming the news (as in, "Jason Quick has a rumor that he will share tomorrow"). Oldfishermen nailed that one. Hehehe.
blazersinsider
Star

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:42 pm

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/07/trail_blazers_looking_for_a_fa.html
Trail Blazers looking for a fast trade involving Rudy Fernandez
Published: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 8:38 PM Updated: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 9:28 PM
Jason Quick, The Oregonian

At the urging of Rudy Fernandez and his agent, the Trail Blazers have engaged in accelerated trade discussions to deal the disgruntled, once-popular shooting guard to one of three Eastern Conference teams.

Boston, Chicago and New York are all in the running to land the 6-foot-6 Spaniard, who set an NBA rookie record two seasons ago by making 159 three-pointers.

Fernandez, 25, is unhappy in Portland because of limited playing time behind All-Star Brandon Roy and because of the playing style of coach Nate McMillan, who primarily used Fernandez as an outside shooter, not the playmaker Fernandez believes he can be in the NBA.

Fernandez has two years remaining on his contract, which will pay him $1.25 million next season. The Blazers acquired Fernandez, along with James Jones, from Phoenix for cash considerations on draft night 2007. Fernandez signed with Portland in July 2008, ending his seven-year career in the Spanish ACB League.

Some of the teams interested in Fernandez have offered a future first round draft pick, while other offers would pair Fernandez with another Blazers player, but agent Andy Miller would not get into specifics.

In December 2009, Miller asked the Blazers to trade Fernandez during a breakfast in New York with the Blazers' top two basketball executives, general manager Kevin Pritchard and assistant general manger Tom Penn.

Pritchard and Penn have since been fired, and newly hired general manager Rich Cho started on the job in earnest on Monday. Miller said he has been encouraged by Cho's efforts this week.

"I'm confident that Portland is cooperating and finding a solution for everyone involved," Miller said Tuesday night.

Cho said Miller quickly made him aware last week of Fernandez' discontent in Portland.

"I've spoken to Andy and I'm aware of Rudy's feelings," Cho said. "But at the end of the day we are going to make the best decision for the franchise."

It appears both sides agree that Fernandez is a talent, but that Portland is not the best situation for him. Fernandez averaged 8.1 points in 23.2 minutes a game last season.

"I totally understand how he feels," McMillan said Tuesday. "He was a star in his league. He was Brandon Roy. Now, he's playing behind an All-Star and the minutes are really limited. For me, I can make it work, but it's not about me. It's about him."

Playing time for Fernandez figured to get even more complicated next season after the Blazers signed free agent Wesley Matthews, a shooting guard, to a five-year contract.

In the 2010 playoffs against Phoenix, Fernandez did get a chance to show what he could do with a bigger role, but he struggled. He started the first three games at shooting guard in place of the injured Roy, but was tentative and ineffective, making just two of his first 12 shots in the series. He had two flurries -- making four three pointers in the fourth quarter of a Game 3 blowout loss and five three pointers in the season-ending Game 6 loss.

"Let me put it this way," McMillan said. "Rudy is a team player, and his style of play requires minutes. He's not a guy who is just going to come down and jack up a shot. He needs to get into a flow, into a rhythm, and that's not a backup role. And I think that is his frustration."

Miller said he expects that frustration to end shortly with a trade.

"But then again, there are expectations and there's reality," Miller said.
discovery69

Postby tester551 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 pm

D69- Do you or Tbpup have connections still? Or did you loose them with the all the changes at HQ?
tester551
Star

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Tester, I posted early this evening before Jason Quick broke the story of the teams from my source.... :wink:

Taking it further to what I've been told is that Boston is in the lead because of the future 1st has less restrictions and that Boston is probably 2-3 years away from becoming a lottery team again.

Chicago is offering their own 1st round pick which is less desirable, but Portland is asking for Chicago's rights to Charlotte's 2012 1st round pick.

New York is less desirable of all the three teams involved with New York offering a first round pick in 2014 with a slew of restrictions (making it more like 2017). Now IF New York is offering Anthony Randolph for Rudy & Jeff Pendergraph, then you are talking about a good trade.

Anyway, I was told Boston is the front runner and that it will be a three team deal with Portland getting a young PG back.

$8.65M - Rudy Fernandez & Joel Przybilla to Boston
$7.08M - Rasheed Wallace ($6.32M retiring), Tony Gaffney & 2013 1st round pick to ?
$??.??M - {young PG} to Portland
discovery69

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Running down the list of possible "young PGs" that we knew or I've been told Portland really wants.....

1) Darren Collison
2) Lou Williams
3) Eric Maynor
4) Jrue Holiday

Players I would shrug my shoulders on:
5) Mike Conley
6) Mo Williams
7) Beno Udrich
8) Jose Calderon
discovery69

Postby discovery69 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Quick is reporting Cho is talking to another team about a possible trade that doesn't involve Rudy Fernandez.

Hmmm I wonder if this means that Bayless will be shipped out too.... :cry1: :wink:
discovery69

Postby tester551 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:39 pm

discovery69 wrote:Tester, I posted early this evening before Jason Quick broke the story of the teams from my source.... :wink:

I am glad someone has sources and willing to share some info. It's hard for me being out of state getting good info on the Blazers. So what has happened to Pup? I haven't seen him post either here or on RealGM in a long time.

discovery69 wrote:Anyway, I was told Boston is the front runner and that it will be a three team deal with Portland getting a young PG back.

That's too bad. I really like Johnson & I am very scared to go into the season with only Batum & Babbitt as the SF (I consider Dante more of a 4, but realize he can play a lot of 3). I just don't think Babbitt will amount to ANYTHING in the NBA.

I was hoping for a Rudy+Pendergraph for Wilson Chandler (NYK) trade.
tester551
Star

Postby HoopsFan on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Remember, that's Nic, Matthews, Cunningham (SF/PF) and Babbitt (on the pines)
No doubt that Matthews will play both SG/SF.
Johnson needs plenty of work, so this year is about skills, knowledge, experience as a rookie playing some DLeague (likely). Kid's a stud and will stick. I'd guess he's a serious candidate for the backup PG long-term ... just not this year.
HoopsFan

Next

Return to Blazers Discussion