Rudy - Paul Allen turns down deal

Rudy - Paul Allen turns down deal

Postby discovery69 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

So the story can come out on why Rudy went from being excited about coming to Portland and then having a melt down on press day....

Rich Cho had a deal agreed upon with Chicago and Rudy's agent passed the good news to Rudy back in Europe.

Chicago agreed to give up their 2011 1st round pick and either the rights to Utah or Phoenix 2011 second round pick.

So Cho took the proposal of having Rudy traded over the weekend before the start of Fall Camp to Paul Allen.

Paul turned down the offer and said he could buy a low 1st pick for $3M. Allen wants more for Rudy and told Cho to come up with a better offer.

Rudy totally disappointed after hearing he wasn't going to be traded decided to have a melt down on press day.
discovery69
ClubBlazers.com Administrator

Re: Rudy - Allen turns down deal

Postby discovery69 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm

NY still interested in Rudy
Knicks evaluating Wilson Chandler's progress, still working on deal for Portland's Rudy Fernandez

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:00 AM

PARIS - Despite the overcast morning, the Knicks players and coaching staff stood in front of the Eiffel Tower Tuesday for a memorable team picture. Amar'e Stoudemire said he will give the photo to his son, while Raymond Felton said it is a keepsake for his family to cherish for generations.

"These guys have seen stuff that they may never do in their own life," Mike D'Antoni said. "It's got to be enriching to a certain degree."

The Knicks conclude their European trip with a game against Minnesota tonight and then depart for New York Thursday. The journey through Milan and Paris has been a good bonding experience for the Knicks, who added 10 new faces during the offseason.

Tuesday, players poked fun at one another as they stood in the mud to pose for a photo that could be outdated before the end of the month. With Carmelo Anthony's future in Denver unresolved, the Knicks remain in the hunt for one of the NBA's elite players.

Donnie Walsh is confident he can acquire a first-round pick to include in a deal for Anthony but the Knicks president still might not have enough assets to convince Denver to trade its franchise player. The Nuggets remain hopeful that they can convince Anthony to sign an extension.

Meanwhile, Walsh would have a chance to pry Rudy Fernandez away from Portland with a first-round pick. The questions the Knicks had concerning Wilson Chandler's recovery from offseason surgery are one reason why the club has explored the possibility of acquiring Fernandez, the disgruntled shooting guard who is in camp with the Trail Blazers after threatening to return to Spain.

How well Chandler progresses during the preseason will determine whether the Knicks revisit talks with the Blazers. According to a team source, Walsh tested the waters last month by offering Portland two future second-round picks in addition to one of the two players the Knicks picked in the second round in June - Andy Rautins or Landry Fields.

The Blazers rejected the deal and have summarily turned down trade offers from Boston and Chicago as well. Chandler, entering his fourth season, is one of the Knicks' more versatile players but is better suited to play small forward. Fernandez is a natural shooting guard with better range who could flourish in D'Antoni's system.

Plus, Fernandez is still on his rookie contract, and adding him would not affect the Knicks' salary-cap situation. Chandler, however, is in his contract year.

In Milan, D'Antoni felt that Chandler was slightly behind his teammates in terms of conditioning. That's understandable considering that Chandler had surgery on his ankle and groin over the summer and began running at full speed only three weeks ago.

But Chandler looked strong in the preseason opener against Armani Jeans Milano, scoring 17 points on 7-for-9 shooting in 22 minutes. Chandler remains one of the Knicks' most unassuming players off the court and more valuable players on it. Walsh admires Chandler for his toughness and his ability to defend several positions.

Chandler's name comes up regularly in trade discussions, and Portland is divided on whether it would accept him in a deal for Fernandez. The Blazers would be more willing to swap Fernandez for a first-round pick and a player, possibly reserve guard Bill Walker.

discovery69

Re: Rudy - Paul Allen turns down deal

Postby ucatchtrout on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 pm

discovery69 wrote:So the story can come out on why Rudy went from being excited about coming to Portland and then having a melt down on press day....

Rich Cho had a deal agreed upon with Chicago and Rudy's agent passed the good news to Rudy back in Europe.

Chicago agreed to give up their 2011 1st round pick and either the rights to Utah or Phoenix 2011 second round pick.

So Cho took the proposal of having Rudy traded over the weekend before the start of Fall Camp to Paul Allen.

Paul turned down the offer and said he could buy a low 1st pick for $3M. Allen wants more for Rudy and told Cho to come up with a better offer.

Rudy totally disappointed after hearing he wasn't going to be traded decided to have a melt down on press day.

Interesting...

And a bit different from what I heard Rudys Spanish agent say on the MSP this morning during an interview. He pretty much said Rudy misses his family and friends and is homesick and there are some private issues troubling him that he needs to be in Spain to take care of. He seemed not to grasp the concept of Rudy having an obligation to fulfill a guaranteed contract he signed with the Blazers.

"Rudy wishes to go home," he said. "His personal situation got worse. This change of mind has been produced in four months. His personal situation has been getting worse. There are things that I cannot say publicly, personal situations, that have been getting worse."

http://www.blazersedge.com/
Blazers Edge has a nice writeup on the interview and a letter to the media from Rudys agent.

To listen to a recording of the interview click on this link.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/45770 ... _Agent.mp3
ucatchtrout

Postby discovery69 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:04 pm

The current rumor going inside the Blazers is New York is working with Houston to get NY's 2012 1st round pick and also remove the right with Houston to trade their pick with New York if NY's 2011 pick is higher than Houston's.

Houston is more interested in improving the current roster so they can make a playoff run with Yao Ming then get another rookie next year.

Here is a guess... :Rolleyes:

$4.1M - Wilson Chandler & Anthony Randolph to Houston
$3.9M - Rudy Fernandez & Jordan Hill to New York
$0.0M - NY 2011 1st to Portland

New York would then be able to work with Denver in trading for Carmelo Anthony..... as then NY can deal players and do a swapping of draft picks in 2012 and send NY 2013 1st pick.
discovery69

Postby discovery69 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah, Kenny Vance was on 95.5 tonight after 7pm and confirmed that Paul Allen turned down the Chicago offer. I had heard a trade fell through with Chicago for a 1st and 2nd round pick, but I thought it was Charlotte's pick....
discovery69

Postby ucatchtrout on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:31 pm

If Rudys comments and what his agent said today were a line of bull and the real truth is they were pissed a deal didn't go through they both deserve a kick in the arse.
ucatchtrout

Postby tester551 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm

D69- With the rumors you are hearing, how likely is it that Rudy will be traded? 50%, 30%?

I think I would prefer him to play with the Blazers for the beginning of the season. I think he is playing well and is increasing his value. I would trade him by the new year for sure.... If Portland can find a "banger" 4/5 for Rudy, I also think that could be a decent trade. The one that comes to mind is Jason Thompson from Sacramento. I think it will be hard to snag him...
tester551
Star

Postby discovery69 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:53 am

I just don't think any Rudy trade will take place until Carmelo Anthony is traded.

The teams that seem the most interested in Rudy are the same teams interested in Carmelo Anthony (i.e. New York, New Jersey, Chicago, LA Clippers) besides Boston, Sacramento and Golden State.

Rudy is being showcased right now and so far his value is about the same (i.e. low 1st round pick).

Cho is in an interesting dilemma with Rudy purposely sabotaging his trade value because he is tired of waiting and Paul Allen setting the bar of a mid 1st round pick or better. As they say that is why Cho gets paid the big bucks.... :Rolleyes:

Cho has told Rudy's agent the only way Rudy will leave Portland is through a trade.....

If Rudy & his agents keep their mouth shut and let the Blazers showcase Rudy, his value will increase. It's a Texas two step with Rudy and Cho.... two steps forward, one step back....

.... so watch Rudy showcased this season and get plenty of play time as long as he comes to play... if no trade happens by Feb trade deadline.... we will see Rudy have another melt down.... and probably add something like his mom or dad is very sick sometime in March and he needs to go home to take care of his mom or dad....
discovery69

Postby Billy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for the info D69.

I do feel somewhat bad for Cho. Like you said, on one hand you have Rudy going around and burning bridges with proposed teams, and on the other you have Paul Allen now killing trades.

Too bad that Collison deal fell through.

At some point though, I have to worry about how much time the Rudy situation is taking away from Cho pursuing other deals. I am sure that he's making plenty of calls on other things, but every minute spent on trying to get some piece of scrap for Rudy is one less minute spent on getting a legit big man to help the Blazers early this year, or to find Roy his Robin (or batman?).
Billy
ClubBlazers Community Moderator

Postby Belphegor on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 am

Yay, I hope Rudy never gets traded, hes a BIG peace for Blazers to win Finals.
Belphegor
Bench

Postby xedubx on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 am

Billy wrote:At some point though, I have to worry about how much time the Rudy situation is taking away from Cho pursuing other deals. I am sure that he's making plenty of calls on other things, but every minute spent on trying to get some piece of scrap for Rudy is one less minute spent on getting a legit big man to help the Blazers early this year, or to find Roy his Robin (or batman?).

That's kinda my stance as well. Rudy, at best, is an 8th or 9th man for us. I'd rather see Cho try to sign Dampier for the BAE than make a Rudy trade. See what he does through the deadline and try to package him in an eventual CP3 trade. :wink:

Then again, we do need Rudy's roster spot if we are to sign someone like Dampier.
xedubx
Star

Return to Blazers Discussion