Paul Pierce nearly a blazer (2005)

Paul Pierce nearly a blazer (2005)

Postby HappyFeet on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Flashback: Pierce Almost Traded
Peter Newmann
ESPN Stats & Information

Did you ever hear the story of how Paul Pierce nearly became a Blazer?

This is the short version of how it all went down: Before the 2005 NBA draft, the Blazers decided that high schooler Martell Webster was the player they wanted to select. But Portland was selecting third overall and decided No. 3 was too high to take Webster. So they entertained offers for the pick.

The Celtics were rumored to have offered Paul Pierce for the third overall pick, which they likely would have used to select Chris Paul, and Nick Van Exel. But Portland decided against that trade, instead dealing the No. 3 pick to Utah for the No. 6 and No. 27 picks. The Jazz took Deron Williams third. The Hornets took Paul at No. 4 and the Bobcats selected Raymond Felton at No. 5, leaving the player the Blazers desired, Webster, at No. 6.

This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this before. Caught my attention because had we gotten Paul pierce i see a very different blazer team than the one in front of us now?
HappyFeet
Bench

Re: Paul Pierce nearly a blazer (2005)

Postby discovery69 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Interesting story..... The irony of that #3 pick was If John Nash would of selected Chris Paul, he would of probably still be GM and Kevin Pritchard would of went onto Seattle Sonics to be GM. :cry1:
discovery69
ClubBlazers.com Administrator

Postby xedubx on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 am

That's nice...but I take CP3 over either Pierce or Webster every day, and twice on Sundays. If anyone watched any ACC basketball during CP3's 2 years at Wake Forest, it was apparent that he was going to be a major star. Nash=FAIL.
xedubx
Star

Postby HoopsFan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Remembering back a bit ... and the Pierce thing does sound familiar ...

That was the draft where Portland already had their PG of the future--Sebastian Telfair--needed a serious athletic shootist (got him?) and also acquired a defensive minded, solid draftee PG named Jarrett Jack. Add in the surprising contributions of Steve Blake and it looked pretty good.

Did I want Webster as the pick? No. But I understood why Nash made the deal. If he judged that Webster and Paul would be relatively equal as BPA (best player available) and Webster was at a position of need ... then it's clear Nash made a miscalculation ... by a mile.

If, however, Nash was picking (or was told to pick) by best player at a needed position, then it's a problem of philosophy. Great PGs and centers are RARE. So it's worth the risk with a high pick if that's what it takes. Drafting at position of need for SG/SF/PF is not good.

I wanted them to trade up for Marvin Williams or pick a PG--Williams or Paul--if it wasn't possible.
HoopsFan
ClubBlazers Community Moderator

Return to Blazers Discussion